Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ahhh...Spring Football is Here!!!


The Northern Illinois Football Huskies had their first "official" football workout with coach Jerry Kill this week. Spring Practice is open to the public, and will take place every MWF at 7:50AM leading up to the Spring Game on April 26th. Hopefully I will be able to make it out to at least ONE practice, but we'll see. I already have enough trouble getting up at 9 for class, I'm not sure about 7!


Some "rumors" from spring practice...Senior Ryan Morris and RS Freshman Chandler Harnish and DeMarcus Grady are all taking equal snaps under center. Senior Dan Nicholson is out until May after having major shoulder surgery. That brings us to the $500 dollar question...who will start at the Metrodome on August 30th? I would like to see Nicholson make the start at Minnesota IF he is healthy enough. That's a big if. But with the new offense, I'm not sure who will start! My best guess is yours! Regardless, this should be a fun year! Here is what Harnish had to say about the new offensive scheme...


"A lot of QB draws, a lot of running, a lot of sprint-out type passes," said redshirt freshman quarterback Chandler Harnish. "I'm real familiar with the system, which I'm real happy about, real excited. Hopefully things go well. It's going to be a new year this year and we're going to be very explosive, I can tell you that."


Also, Illinois transfer QB Paul Blalock (seen below), a 3* recruit and #47 rated quarterback in the nation out of high school, is learning fullback this spring! Kill usually has a FB in the backfield, and it will be a big change from all the one-back sets we have seen the last 12 years! Look for an upcoming "preview" of a spring practice! I hope to make one this week or the next!